NOW WITH OVER 800 SHOWS FOR YOU TO LISTEN TO AND ENJOY


Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Book and a Chat with Wayne Edwards


Finally starting to shake off the affects of the mix of bronchitis and smoke inhalation, and host the first real show of 2012. My guest on today’s show Wayne Edwards would make anybody smile with his wonderful rhyming poetry covering all sorts of subjects and for all ages, a show well worth the listen.

Wayne did not start writing his poetry until he retired from the Air Force in 1977. He spent his last five years in the military as the Air Force’s nuclear security inspector, which might explain why he built himself an underground house. He has written sixteen paperback books of rhyming poetry, all illustrated with his own cartoons, which are enough to make you smile in themselves.

He is a popular guest and many events ranging from schools to senior centers his words and humor a fit for all ages. He subjects of his books range from youthful reflections to hospitals, from animals to law enforcement.

During the show Wayne shared with us several of his poems, all with twists at the end, and sure to have the listener chuckling, one of my favorites was “The Parking Ticket”

The cop was writing out a ticket
When I came out of the hardware store.
A parking ticket is the one thing
That can really make a person sore.

I said, “Can’t you give a guy a break?”
And I guess I really showed my ire
‘Cause he got out another ticket
And he wrote it out for one bald tire.

That’s when I told him what he could do,
I think you probably know the verb.
He calmly wrote another ticket,
He wrote, “Car parked too far from the curb.”

Seven times more, he wrote out tickets
And stuck them under the wiper blade.
And then he just coolly walked away
Completely ignoring my tirade.

It’s people like him that make me mad,
Who take their authority too far.
Those tickets will cost a small fortune.
I’m sure glad that it wasn’t my car!
(Written by Wayne Edwards)

As one person wrote to Wayne...

Thank you for sharing your gift with others. I know that your poetry will allow our family to share laughter and rich experiences together while the kids (shh, don’t tell anyone) actually learn something too. My eldest is a budding writer and my youngest would prefer shots at the pediatrician to picking up a pencil. I am confident that your clever words and hilarious art while inspire both ends of the writing spectrum in our house. Thanks again!

His poetry is classed as paraprosdokian "a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part." The twists at the end of each poem enough to bring a smile to anybodies face.

Wayne Edwards is a poet for all, a person who can bring a smile to anybodies face, as the review says, his poetry allows people to share both laughter and the experiance of his words and art.

Check out Wayne’s award winning web site filled with words that will bring a smile to your face. Sixteen books so far but I’m sure many more to come from Wayne Edwards, the “family poet”.

So listen now and share an interesting, and entertaining show as I chat with my special guest today on A Book and a Chat with Wayne Edwards

Barry

Direct link to the show
A Book and a Chat with Wayne Edwards

or you can download the mp3 file of the show from
"Wayne Edwards"

You can find out more about my guest and their books at:
"Wayne Edwards - The Famnily Poet"

Barry Eva (Storyheart)

My Blogs:

Book Information and Things UK - Across the Pond

Book and a Chat Radio Show Guests - A Book and a Chat

Funny, Weird Or Just Interesting News From Around the World - Laugh I Thought My Trousers Would Never dry

No comments: