NOW WITH OVER 800 SHOWS FOR YOU TO LISTEN TO AND ENJOY


Saturday, August 10, 2013

Bullying - A Book and a Chat with Patty Blount

Starting today I have six shows which cover bullying, be it authors who have written about the subject or people that have been involved in the subject, some like Patty  Blount my guest on today’s show covers both writers and those affected by bullying.

The government web site stopbullying.gov defines bullying as…

“Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Bullying includes actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, attacking someone physically or verbally, and excluding someone from a group on purpose.”

It is as most of us know a lot more than that, within a work place, a marriage or in daily lives bullying affects both young and old.

Patty was not only share with us how her own life was affected by bullying in the work place but also how her own sons issues of being bullied and then being accused of being a bully lead to her writing her first book “Send”.

As Patty says in her own words…  (Taken from Jeanbooknerd.com) :

People often wonder how I got the idea for SEND and why I wrote it from the bully’s perspective. The answer to this question is a complicated one – actually, it is an answer with several parts that converged into what would ultimately become Dan Ellison’s story.

First, let me tell you about my son. When my oldest boy, Rob, was in sixth grade, he broke down in tears one gloomy night in April and told me he no longer wanted to live. To say I was surprised would be the biggest understatement in history. Turns out, he’d been the victim of bullies since the term began the previous September. I had no clue he was being tormented. I had no idea he was even unhappy. He was twelve years old and suffering through an early puberty. His classmates tormented him over his body hair, his acne, his deep voice and made him feel so freakish, he actually believed he was not normal. We got him help and spoke to his teachers and principal and my son finished out the year with no further incidents. He’s now in college but his scars are deep.

The second contributing factor occurred the following year, when Rob was in seventh grade. I’d left the house early one Saturday morning to run errands with my youngest son in tow. Rob was still sleeping when I left. When I returned to my house, I saw some guy hanging by his fingertips from my living room window. This guy turned out to be the older and very muscular brother of a classmate who claimed Rob was now bullying him. He came over to ‘talk some sense into him,’ which – judging by his confrontational demeanor – was code for ‘see how he likes it.’

I’ve been a parent for a long time now and I KNOW most of us are oblivious to our kids’ shortcomings and faults. I have seen so much denial in my life but trust me on this – the word ‘disbelief’ doesn’t even come close to describing my reaction. How could the same boy in so much pain barely a year earlier turn around and cause that same pain in someone else? Near as I was able to determine, since the child would not directly address us, Rob intimidated this child without meaning to. Rob is large: by sixth grade, he was shaving, had reached five foot nine inches tall, which put him about a foot and a half higher than most of his classmates. What he thought was fooling around or playing was perceived as something entirely different by this boy. Judging by the depth of Rob’s guilt after hearing the accusations from this boy’s family, I have to believe he never meant to intimidate or threaten anybody.


“Send” has received many plaudits and wonderful reviews from people of all ages, and I am sure has helped many who can relate to what the story is about.

About “Send” (taken from Amazon):

All Dan wants for his senior year is to be invisible. This is his last chance at a semi–normal life. Nobody here knows who he is. Or what he's done. But on his first day at school, instead of turning away like everyone else, Dan breaks up a fight. Because Dan knows what it's like to be terrorized by a bully—he used to be one.

Now the whole school thinks he's some kind of hero—except Julie. She looks at him like she knows he has a secret. Like she knows his name isn't really Daniel...


Since this debut book Patty has written two more novels, both involving teen/tween issues, and I look forward to having Patty back as a guest in December when we can discuss these other books as well as what has anything else we can find to talk about.

So listen now and share an interesting, and entertaining show as I chat with my special guest today's first show about bullying on Bullying - A Book and a Chat with Patty Blount

Barry

Direct link to the show
Bullying - A Book and a Chat with Patty Blount

or you can download the mp3 file of the show from
"Patty Blount"

You can find out more about my guest and their books at:
"Patty Blount - Send"

Barry Eva (Storyheart)

My Blogs:

Book Information and Things UK - Across the Pond

Book and a Chat Radio Show Guests - A Book and a Chat

Funny, Weird Or Just Interesting News From Around the World - Laugh I Thought My Trousers Would Never dry

No comments: