NOW WITH OVER 800 SHOWS FOR YOU TO LISTEN TO AND ENJOY


Monday, September 23, 2013

A Book and a Chat with Lauren Tarshis


Lauren Tarshis was introduced to me by my son Andrew who handed my one of her books one day and told me “Dad you need to get this lady on your show” and I am really glad I did.

Lauren  is described in Wikipedia as “an author of children's books, with several series of fiction and historical works found in thousands of libraries and translated into several languages” but she is so much more than that.

She the author of the critically acclaimed Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree, a Golden Kite honor book for fiction and Oprah book club pick, and the sequel Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell in Love. Books that are on many state lists and are often used by schools as part of anti-bully programs.

When not writing she is the  editorial director for language arts at Scholastic, and the editor of Storyworks magazine, an award-winning language arts magazine for children in grades 3-5 and also oversees Scope magazine, a language arts magazine for middle-schoolers. Circulation of these two magazines alone is over a million.

To my mind however the her greatest gift to young readers has been her “I Survived” series,  fast-paced historical fiction for kids of all ages each one focusing on a historical disaster from the perspective of a boy who lived to tell the tale.

And all this from a person who struggled with severe reading issues throughout  middle school.

There are so many books to share that Lauren has written it has been hard for me to find one for the”about this book” part of the blog but I have chosen my sons favorite.

About “I Survived the Attacks of September 11, 2001 (taken from authors web site)

Nothing is more important to Lucas than football, but when he gets his third concussion, his parents decide it’s too dangerous for him to keep playing his favorite game. He is sure his Uncle Benny will convince his parents to change their minds, and he skips school to find Benny at the firehouse where he works. But then a terrible attack happens in New York City, and Lucas is caught in the center of one of the most terrifying days in modern American history.


Lauren states she wrote this book after getting thousands of requests from readers, and it has become the most popular I Survived book yet.

With more books already under way including one that I believe to be very important (you will have to listen to the show to find out why) these books are a must for children of all ages.

So listen now and share an interesting, and entertaining show as I chat with my special guest today on A Book and a Chat with Lauren Tarshis

Barry

Direct link to the show
A Book and a Chat with Lauren Tarshis

or you can download the mp3 file of the show from
"Lauren Tarshis"

You can find out more about my guest and their books at:
"Lauren Tarshis - I Survived Series"

Barry Eva (Storyheart)

My Blogs:

Book Information and Things UK - Across the Pond

Book and a Chat Radio Show Guests - A Book and a Chat

Funny, Weird Or Just Interesting News From Around the World - Laugh I Thought My Trousers Would Never dry

No comments: